You’ve probably arrived here because you’re pondering getting professional headshots done. There are so many types of people that can benefit from one. In fact, it’s hard to think of a profession where a good headshot wouldn’t be of some benefit. The obvious ones include actors and actresses who need them for casting calls. Then there are countless of business executives who can use them for the company website, LinkedIn and so on. You can also make them go the extra mile and consider using them for your online personal profiles. Regardless of the industry you work in, here are three solid reasons why you should get professional headshots.
It Shows Self-Confidence
Having a big beautiful picture taken of yourself may seem necessary for the specific job you do. For example, almost every real estate agent uses a headshot to promote their services. But, that’s truly what a headshot does for you regardless of how your profession. Wherever you use it, a good professional headshot demonstrates self-confidence in yourself. And, self-confidence is a top-five trait employers look for in a candidate.
The opposite, of course, is low self-worth or self-esteem. Studies show most people unfortunately fall into this boat. So, a good headshot is one way you can demonstrate you stand apart from this trait that employers don’t want.
Because Others Settle for Less
Speaking of standing apart, a professional headshot will help you do just that. Nowadays, it’s easy for people to take a selfie and call it good as a headshot. It just isn’t. Or, they opt for no headshot at all. There are two big problems with this.
First, to not have a headshot simply puts you at a disadvantage over those that do. There are surveys finding that as high as 75% of us are visual learners. It’s estimated people will remember six times more about your profile if there is a picture to go with it. So, LinkedIn and other online profiles without a picture aren’t drawing the attention that can be.
But, what about using a selfie? I’ve received a few calls recently for headshots for LinkedIn. The reason they wanted headshots was because someone told them their LinkedIn picture was not professional. When I would go view the pictures, they were always smartphone selfies. So, how many times has someone thought that of yours and didn’t tell you? It’s said it’s possible that each time you hear about it, there are at least 26 other times people felt the same but didn’t tell you.
Because a Good Photographer Will Make it Look Good
There’s only one way to get a headshot that shows your self-confidence and stands apart from the dominant selfie. And, that is with a professional photographer that has the creative and technical skill to use proper high-end equipment to do so. If you’re not yet convinced, without getting into details, here are some other reasons:
15 More Reasons
- It’s the first impression of you for someone
- It helps build trust before they meet you
- It’s inviting to the viewer – it says you’re approachable
- Because it’s a current depiction of you
- You’ll feel better about yourself (there’s that self-confidence thing again)
- You can get truly premium headshots at a fair price
- You’ll likely find other uses for it
- Because how many times have you stared at a headshot and judged
- A bad headshot can turn people off (from employers to dating)
- You just might get asked for a current headshot
- Because it will make you look your best
- It puts the focus on you
- It demonstrates you have high standards
- Your smartphone camera isn’t up to the task
- Because you get what you pay for – and free is usually garbage